Saturday 8 March 2014

Ghana at 57

I started off my Ghana Independence celebrations by watching Nana Akufo Addo and co talk about Ghana's progress (or not) in the last 57 years.

My celebrations continued into the week with a visit to the Jumeriah Carlton Tower for the Ghana High Commission's annual celebration. I went with Akwaaba UK to celebrate with Ghanaians and Friends of Ghana. 

As usual, I had nothing to wear. The invite said I could either wear formal wear or traditional dress. I obviously wanted to wear traditional clothes but my body has expanded over the last 3 years meaning what my seamstress beautifully sewed for me in Ghana just didn't fit.

All I could do was improvise! I ended up wearing a black dress and represented Ghana with some Ankara bracelets. I've sadly lost my Gye Nyame bracelet and earrings so the bracelets did it's job in a way.

I entered the building and noticed the Ghana High Commissioner and friends were lined at the door. I turned around to find another entrance because this looked pretty formal. Could I find one? No...that was the only way into the place! 

I awkwardly walked towards the toastmaster who asked for my name to introduce me to the High Commissioner. Gosh....Very formal indeed! 

Professor Kwaku Danso - Boafo (The High Commissioner) greeted me with a "Miss Amankwa thank you for coming". How lovely, I got a bit shy! 

I walked around the room and decided to speak with drummers who were about to play. One of them assured me that he would teach me. I know its a serious skill to have so I told him that if he was good, I would happily learn from him haha.

Let the drums talk


Soon after that it was time for the speech from the High Commissioner. The speech commenced with National Anthems. I was surprised to hear the National Anthem for Great Britain was played first. This was then followed by the Ghanaian national anthem. I would definitely would have reversed that order! 
Stand up, hand on heart, sing loudly....The National Anthem is playing!

In his speech, the High Commissioner commended Ghana for being the first country to take initiative in Sub Saharan Africa. He explained that over the years we have had successes and challenges. 

He made it clear that we could build a better Ghana through patriotism and national unity and thanked successful governments for contributing to a stable Ghana. 

Danso Boafo continued to explain that Ghana has experienced political and economic stability, earning dividends for our country as a result of the collective effort of the people. 

He believed the government will continue to enhance electoral process and the building of strong institutions. 

The positive growth of the economy was praised for making Ghana an attractive place for investments. Ghana, he continued, provides a peaceful and secure business environment with one that provides good return on investment. 

He mentioned our economy had grown 14.4 % 2011 and 7.9% 2012 and was also proud to talk about our foreign investments.

Governments have implemented policies to drive forward the growth agenda of the government. This is to happen through expanded opportunities such as eduction, health, social security and protection of vulnerable.

The government is also looking into improving our infrastructure, ICT and reliable energy supply. 


I was really impressed to hear that the Ghana Professional School Database was being developed to help those who are interested in returning to Ghana to tap into employment opportunities there. I eagerly await details for that!

He also encouraged active participation from the diaspora through dialogue and practical engagements. 

Thanks were expressed to her Majesty's government and different organisations.

After the speech the networking and dancing began. 

I met some interesting people including a 26 year old future labour candidate ;-), A Minister Counsellor to the Embassy of Serbia, a journalist and an employee of a commonwealth organisation.

The evening was pleasant and lively. Good vibes and good people all around!

I enjoyed celebrating with Ghanaians and of course friends of Ghana.

A few pics....

Cilla, Me, Mavis! #MGUK #Akwaaba

Miss Ghana UK 2013

Can you spot me? I'm taking notes on my phone but it looks like i'm texting :/



The following day, in observation of Ghana's independence, an evensong service was held at Westminster Abbey. I went along to show my support. I have never been inside the Abbey, seeing the black and white tiles took me back to 1997, the year princess Diana died.

Although I was only a child, I still remember the sorrow I felt each time I watched the news. I have never met her but her death really did affect me. 

The service was a mixture of readings, prayer and song. The choir boys sang beautiful, honestly I know it's cliche to say but their voices were honestly ANGELIC. I wonder how one becomes a choir boy? 

The angel boys sang here

The High Commissioner read from the bible, we said a few prayers and it was time to go.

I met Professor Kwaku Danso-Boafo afterwards to greet him and I guess to say goodbye! For those of you that don't know he will be leaving his post as High Commissioner! Sad because I thought he was cool!

Professor and myself (excuse the fuzziness - camera man :-( ) 


I ended my celebrations with more hope for Ghana. I am optimistic and hope in some way I can contribute to the positive change.















No comments:

Post a Comment